Sunday, October 20, 2013

What I do when I write...

I know it is a crazy title, but I bet you didn't know the following, when I write:

- I read a lot in the genre I'm writing in. While I'm into my own story, I do like to keep my mind going and not focus only on my storyline. Keeping an open mind and reading a lot helps me change the plot, as I write. Reading and real life happenings are inspirational, too.

- I have the outline of the story set prior to writing. But, it isn't always set in stone. I haven't written once, where the storyline hasn't changed. I find that as I write, I get little AHA moments and the tale begins to take on its own life. I just write how it wants to be told.

- I can write pretty much anywhere. I do admit, I don't fancy loud or populated areas. They are distracting and it is hard to tune out what people are saying at times. I do prefer quiet places. I guess that's why I like to write late at night and the wee hours of the morning.

- I often write with my faithful four legged fur babe close by. If I stay up late, he's at my feet while I'm typing away. If I'm writing during the weekend, he has himself wedged behind my computer desk, usually snoring away.

- If I'm unsure of a concept I want to place in the book, I often run things by my husband, mother or one of my trusted Beta readers.

- My mind never really shuts off with thinking. I don't know why, but it never has. I'm continually coming up with new ideas for potential stories. However, when I'm writing, my mind is in a continual loop over the story at hand, replaying different scenes, going through the motions of the book and altering things slightly to see how they would play out. Sometimes this is frustrating and other times I approach the story at a new angle and end up with a new idea to try.

- I've often been found at the keyboard with my eyes closed, leaning back in the chair and typing away at the keys. Good thing I was excellent at typing in school. :-) When the scene is difficult to get down, I often let my imagination take over my typing. It sounds crazy, I know, but it works. Some scenes run smoothly onto paper like perfectly tempered chocolate. Other scenes are difficult to describe and harder to write down. I guess I would relate those scenes to trying to climb a rocky mountain side with a heavy weighted backpack strapped on. They may be difficult, but once the climb is done (or the scene in this case), you cherish the struggle.

- I often have an iced tea or water nearby to keep hydrated and I snack on protein rich snacks and fresh fruit to keep me going.  I don't like sugary substances or carbohydrates to make me sluggish and slow down my thinking.  
 
- Almost forgot...if I'm running on little sleep, which I often do, then coffee is definitely present!  Right now my favorite flavor creamer is Italian Sweet Cream and Peppermint Mocha. 

Okay, enough about my quirks when I write. Now I need to get back onto the story at hand. My characters are starting to pace the floor and are giving me glaring looks. Trust me when I tell you that you don't want to be caught in one of Garrett's glares.  He could melt the soles off your shoes!  LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment